AUSIT’s objectives are set out in our constitution. They include:
- represent the interests of the profession at all times in both Australian and international contexts,
- ensure that interpreters and translators uphold the highest professional and ethical standards,
- promote the translating and interpreting profession to governments and the corporate sector,
- promote and organise professional development activities – including workshops, conferences, courses and seminars,
- provide a forum for the study and advancement of translating and interpreting knowledge, practices and procedures,
- improve public understanding of the translating and interpreting profession,
- work to ensure that non-English speaking persons have access to the services of a properly qualified and accredited interpreter or translator in their dealings with authorities.